Galerie Berès presents an exhibition dedicated to HENRI LAURENS (1885-1954) from October 20th through January 5,2005. Laurens is a major sculptor from the 20th century and is considered by many to be the Cubist father of sculpture for our time. His grandeur and innovative quality are equal if not superior to certain contemporaries of his as illustrious as Brancusi and Giacometti.
This exhibition regroups around 150 works : from sculptures in bronze, earthenware and stone, to polychrome reliefs, papier collés, gouaches, watercolors and drawings, but also engravings and all the books that Laurens has illustrated.
This is the first time in ages that such a large grouping of works by Henri Laurens has been reunited.
No other retrospective of this magnitute has been organized in France or in a foreign country since December 1992, the date of the last exhibition dedicated to Laurens at the Musée d’Art Moderne de Villeneuve-d’Ascq, near Lille.
These 150 works originate primarily from private collections ; certain ones have never been shown to the public since their acquisition by the collectors.
This selection of works permits us to offer the visitor a large sampling of subjects treated by the artist starting with his cubist period (1916-1925) to his last realizations with a more personal style. After 1925, his works have faded from all geometric elements and have evolved towards full and round forms.
An important catalogue will be edited for this occasion. It will reproduce all the works exhibited and reunite various detailed studies on Laurens’ work including those by Mr. Pierre Daix, a journalist, Mr. Denis Cate, Director and Conservator of the Jane Voorhees Zimmeril Art Museum, New Brunswick, USA and Mr. Antoine Poncet, sculptor and member of the Institute.
It is the effervescence, creativity and multiplicity of his plastic forms, which is rare for a sculptor of the 20th century that the Galerie Berès wishes to shows through these 150 pieces.
Practical Information :
The exhibition will take place from October 20th to January 5th, 2005 in two places :
Galerie Berès 25 quai Voltaire 75007 Paris 01 42 61 27 91
Galerie Berès 35 rue de Beaune 75007 Paris 01 49 27 94 11
The exhibition is open without interruption from Monday to Frieday from 10:00 to 7:00.